Saturday, February 11, 2012

May The Force (And An Extended Credit Line On Your Disney Visa) Be With You!

I must confess, while I know there is this somewhat strange crossroad where many devout Disney fans and Star Wars legion converge, I am not among the dual-citizenry in the Geek Universe. I don not conceal a mini-light saber underneath my mouse ears.

In fact I'm so out of touch with the Star Wars universe, my favorite installments of the series are apparently the most reviled among the faithful. I liked Jedi, and thought overall Sith told a satisfying origin story. So let's see that means I like the 3rd film and the 6th, but the 3rd is technically the 6th, and the 6th actually takes place third . . .? See, this is what I'm talking about! It's too confusing!

But the Disney Company figured out a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far . . . never mind) that there was gold in them thar Stars. George Lucas himself has been quoted as saying if he'd never been able to create the world of Star Wars on his own, he would have done it with Disney because of the high-standard of quality and their vehement protection of brand.

In the late 80's Disney unveiled the attraction Star Tours at both Disneyland and Disney's MGM-Studios (now Hollywood Studios.) And for anyone reading this who doesn't know, it was recently revamped, refurb'ed, and reopened in a new digital 3D experience that I can tell you first hand is mind-blowing! You don't have to be a Star Wars fan to realize it's one of the most intense, immersive theme park attractions ever created.

But the big event every year where the galaxies collide and land in central Florida is Star Wars Weekends!


Every spring, Disney's Hollywood Studios is transformed into a Lucas Wonderland and Storm Troopers and Jedi alike enjoy the attractions together in relative peace. For a month, Disney puts on special Star Wars parades, events, and has special appearances by stars of the Wars, like perenial guest Ray Park (Darth Maul) and Warwick (who hasn't he played?) Davis.

These special events do look pretty cool even if you're a Star Wars nut. It just doesn't inspire me to make the trip. I'd probably avoid Hollywood Studios those weekends altogether, if not for one special feature that I find extremely cool and terribly enticing . . . all the special Disney Star Wars merchandise!

Even if you're not a fanatic seeing these collectibles with a Disney spin is more than even I can resist. From t-shirts, build-your-own light sabers, statuary, you won't believe some of the limited edition collectibles you'll find. My personal favorite, the action figures. Even I had Star Wars figures when I was young. Most of them were lost, buried, or melted with an electric charcoal starter (we don't need to talk about that.)
What I'd never melt are collectible figures featuring Disney icons as Star Wars characters.



Off course, my personal favorite, the one I looked at multiple times & I'm kicking myself for not throwing down on the counter has to be . . .


Pete the Cat as Boba Fett!!!

This week the official Disney Parks Blog released some sneak peaks of the logo and merchandise coming to Star Wars Weekends 2012.
As you'll see, the chose to follow suit with the release of Star Wars Episode 1 in 3D this year.



I have to admit, seeing just a few samplings of Donald as Darth Maul already captures my imagination. I wish I could get down just to browse the gift shops! And if I'm thinking that, I can only imagine how much merchandise profits skyrocket when the true SW fans arrive! Disney's certainly not pouring all that extra money into the park for one month just because it's cool.

Star Wars Weekends 2012 runs May 18th thru June 10th at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
Oh, and as the name implies . . . on the weekends.
To see the new poster and few other samples of exclusive merchandise check out:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/02/first-look-at-merchandise-for-star-wars-weekends-2012-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

And if anybody happens across that Pete Boba Fett figure and feels like sending off an early (or I suppose belated) Christmas present, I'd be happy to give you my address!

No comments:

Post a Comment