Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Throw me somethin' Mister!

I've stayed at a handful of different Walt Disney World hotels. I've been lucky enough to have experienced every tier, from value such as my beloved Pop Century (not even AoA will replace you for me!) to multiple moderate resorts like Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado Springs. I've even stayed at a deluxe resort. However there is one hotel on property that I've always wanted to check out, but have just never had the opportunity. Things always worked out a different way.

But in honor of today, Mardi Gras, I decided just to post a little tribute to that elusive mistress who haunts my Disney dreams, Port Orleans French Quarter.



What I can tell you is the story of how I almost stayed there. In 2002, my wife and I still being somewhat newly married decided we wanted to get away for a few days. As it happened, we received a postcard from our travel agent (remember when people used those kids? We used to even go to her office to talk about vacation possibilities where she surfed a DOS based system and chain-smoked Virginia Slims . . . at her desk . . . with customers there!) The card touted what a great deal they were offering to visit Walt Disney World.

I hadn't been since 1993. Prior to this I had always loved it, but had more less forgotten. My wife hadn't been since she was a kid. We decided what the hell? Let's go to Disney World.

She called the travel agent (it still sounds archaic every time I say it) and booked a package. When the day came and we touched down at MCO, we'd been told to go down to the Mears Shuttle desk (this was pre-Magical Express) and tell them we need to get to "the Port Orleans resort."
That's all our travel agent had told us. She'd failed to mention, and likely didn't know or care that there are two different Port Orleans resorts. So we checked in with Mears and told 'em "take us to Port Orleans!" The girl did ask us which one, to which we exchanged confused glances and she clarified "French Quarter, or Riverside?"
Well, obviously French Quarter. I love Jimmy Buffett and Mardi Gras, so obviously she booked us into French Quarter.



So they dropped us off at this gorgeous New Orleans themed resort with iron-railed balconies and bougianvilla and carnival decor everywhere. This was certainly my hotel! I was immediately in a vacation state of mind.



And then we tried to check-in. Turns out we were in fact confirmed for arrival . . . at Port Orleans Riverside. I was crestfallen. You mean, my lip began to quiver, I don't get to stay in the Mardi Gras hotel?

As I would learn is their way, the hotel employees nay Cast Members were incredibly helpful and accommodating and actually called a golf cart to drive us over to the other resort, taking us on a tour of beautiful grounds. Sadly, we watched Port Orleans fading away behind us without so much as a string of beads!
The driver, who wasn't a bellman was extremely friendly and helpful. He even carried our suitcase inside the lobby when we got to PO Riverside. He didn't even make a face when I asked how far we were from the Orlando Margaritaville. He just said it was pretty far away on the other side of town (no mention of that other park it's associated with.)



Don't get me wrong. Port Orleans Riverside is a beautiful resort as well and we loved staying there. In fact I'd have no problem staying there again in the future. We didn't have a preferred room (we didn't even know what that meant back then) but we did have a shuttle stop right behind us so it was perfect. Especially as we were in our mid-twenties and took full advantage of Pleasure Island (may she rest in peace.) So have a the bus drop us off in our backyard late at night was helpful.

Still, I often lament that day we didn't get to stay at French Quarter. Especially on days like today. Fat Tuesday. What fun it would be if I were a guest there today, sipping Hurricane's by the Doubloon Lagoon or hanging out at Scat Cat's.



I know a lot of Disney fans that pine away for the deluxe resorts, or even anxiously await the newest value resort Art of Animation for it's amazing decor and themes. But I still look forward to the day I finally do get to check in at Port Orleans French Quarter!

Joyeux Mardis Gras!

No comments:

Post a Comment