Monday, May 14, 2012

O Ye of Little Faith (in Imagineering!)

This past weekend I was listening to a relatively popular Walt Disney World podcast, and they were discussing the recently announced timetables for the opening of “new Fantasyland.”  As you may know, everything has been pushed back a bit.  This should come as no surprise.  It’s often par for the course, especially in an undertaking this massive. 
But the comment was made by the host of this podcast, “it’s been 2 years . . . we're losing patience.”

Really???  Losing patience with who?  With Disney management?  With Imagineering?  Are you kidding?   

We’re talking about doubling the size of Fantasyland, which is also a pretty big expansion for Magic Kingdom in general.  The logistics of that are probably mind-boggling and would drive lesser engineers to drink.  This is multiple grand-scale construction projects happening simultaneously, including cutting-edge technology, animatronics, ride-vehicles, effects, you-name-it.  They’re not just slapping together a new rollercoaster from some Belgian engineering firm, ala Seven Pennants or whatever that low-rent chain is called. 
And it’s not just a few new attractions and restaurants.  There’s infrastructure to be designed and redesigned and then once construction is underway, probably redesigned again.  There are new pathways to explore.  I don’t mean figuratively.  There are literally new pathways through Fantasyland to figure out.  There’s horticultural planning.  Probably new power lines to install (and camouflage.)   Let’s not even get into the plumbing. 

I know we go to Disney for magic.  They’re in the magic business, and yes Magic Kingdom is the most magical place on Earth.  But let’s take the thumb out of our mouth and face reality.  You can’t just complete this project overnight with the wave of a magic wand.  It takes time, hard work, a lot of money, and constant rethinking.  And very likely ends up taking more of all 4 then originally planned.

Besides, magic wands are for that other park across town. 

I know the prospect of all these amazing new attractions on the other side of those construction walls is making you want to burst like a kid waiting for their parents to finally wake up on Christmas morning.  I’m sure what’s under that wrapping paper will be even more awesome than we’ve already seen.  Unfortunately, you’re just going to have to let mom and dad sleep a little longer.  Go in the other room and watch cartoons and try not to think about what's waiting under the tree ‘til they say it’s time.

And by the way, I am & remain a fan of this particular podcast even though I disagree with a lot of the opinions expressed.  I of all people believe in the freedom to say what you feel, especially if you’re an independently financed operation.  But in this case I would caution, when your show spews a lot more venom than sugar at Imagineering and the Disney Company in general and they still give you media credentials, I’d try to find my patience again. 

But hey, that’s just me.  

2 comments:

  1. I am impatient for the new Fantasyland to open but I haven't lost my patient. Two different things!

    I don't listen to any podcasts, I have tried putting them on but have a tendency to wander away from my computer and forget to list. I suppose that would make me a bad disney fan in some people's eyes. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, haven't lost my patience . . . spelling while tired is hard.

      Delete