Monday, July 9, 2012

Ooh-Oooh That Smell!!!

Today is my first day of vacation.  If you know me, you know I'd like nothing more than for it to be my first day at Walt Disney World.  Right now I'd probably be having lunch at Cosmic Ray's, enjoying the silky-smooth tones of my brother from another mother(ship) Sonny Eclipse.

But alas, this year it's a stay-cation for me. 

So it was like a gift from the mouse-eared gods when I saw today's new merchandise story on the Disney Parks Blog!  
Science has proven that our sense of smell is the most directly connected to our memory (okay I don't that for a fact, but roll with me!) 

Nothing is more true than the myriad of smells that immediately transport me to Walt Disney World when they hit my olfactory!  Wet asphalt, fresh popcorn, burning sulfur (WDW fans understand), PVC souvenirs, orange groves, spruce trees, the list goes on from the seemingly normal to the way-out!  My senses are always on high alert when I'm there, recording everything in the memory banks.

I even have a favorite deodorant I only wear on days when I need a little pick-me-up, because I bought it out of desperation the night before I left for Disney.  Now it's immediately linked, at least in my sense memory, to Walt Disney World.

Now you'll actually be able to bring specific smells of the Disney parks home!  Or at least to your car!

The Walt Disney World and Disneyland souvenir department has come up with air fresheners that smell like some of the most popular treats in the parks.  There's the famous Mickey Mouse Ice Cream bar (or as those in the nose . . . err, know call it, the Mickey Premium!) 
There's another star of the confectionery shops, the Minnie Candied Apple (the real things come in numerous designs of course but for this special merchandise, Miss Minnie gets her due!) 

 


Of course For breakfast lovers the Mickey Waffle air freshener which we can only imagine smells like a sweet fresh-from-griddle waffle with maple syrup. 


But for me, the star here . . . the one that gets me salivating is the rear view re-creation of my favorite parks snack.  A treat fit for a king (but not a vegetarian!)  An aroma that should permeate the interior every real man's car, smoked meat!  The Turkey Leg air freshener!

 


For those that haven't ever visited a Disney park (how lost are you if you're reading my blog?!?) and don't know the delight of the barbecued turkey legs available at many a Disney park snack cart, well, first off I weep for you.  Imagine all those images of Henry the VIII or any other Medieval baron hoisting a roasted leg of bird like it's a royal scepter.  At Walt Disney World, you can get in touch with your inner-carnivorous beast by sinking your canines into a smoked, meaty turkey leg the size of a child's leg!

 


And thanks to Disney merchandising, you can hang a replica in your car!  I can only imagine what it smells like . . . but it's bringing a tear to my eye.

One word of caution though, I can imagine if you drive with the windows open, you may find yourself being followed by any number of neighborhood dogs!  




For the full story, check out the link at the Official Disney Parks Blog:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/07/freshening-the-air-with-disney-parks/



2 comments:

  1. Nice blog Bart! Where can you get these????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kris! The article said they'd be available in the parks come August. Hopefully they'll be available on the website too. Otherwise we'll have to enlist any friends heading down soon!

    ReplyDelete