Friday, August 17, 2012

Catching Up (With Apologies To My Vegetarian Friends!)

So it's been eating at me (no pun intended . . . well maybe a little) that I haven't posted on here in weeks.  I know both of my faithful readers have been emotionally distraught.  Of course, there also in prison so I can't take all the credit for that!

The reason I haven't been so prolific a blogger is that I've been elbows deep in the stuff, trying to get a book finished.  We're close kids.  Very close! 

And so, to let those of you who care know I'm still alive and that this blog is a priority, I wanted to put something out there for you.  I do have some pretty exciting things coming up soon.  My interview series with some familiar and interesting names, all Disney-related, is shaping up nicely.  Better than I anticipated in fact. 

Beyond that, honestly I've found recent news coming out of the kingdom to be a bit bland.  Ironic since the biggest story is about a restaurant.  I know a lot of WDW fans are losing their stuff over the anticipated opening of Be Our Guest. I'm sure it's going to be great, but I mean, it's a restaurant.  I know to look at me, you'd think a new eatery would be top of the list.  But for me, New Fantasyland doesn't open until The Seven Dwarves Mine Train rolls out (literally.)  Okay, so I'm excited about Mermaid too! 

But as long as we're talking about food, I thought as an apology for being so absent, I'd throw you guys a bone.  Fortunately this particular bone is covered in smoked, succulent poultry!  A small morsel from my book in which I briefly ramble about one of my favorite souvenirs at Walt Disney World.  For the uninititated, Disney Parks offer as a snack at various kiosks and counter service locations enormous, delicious barbecued turkey legs.  They're a $10 dollar snack but fortunately each one is practically a meal!  The turkey leg is kind of the Michael Bolton album of Disney Parks.  They sell over a million a year, but every time I ask, no Disney fan admits to liking them!  Methinks I can see turkey grease shining on your finger tips!     


"How can we be lovers . . . if you won't share your turkey leg?!"

Here, torn right from the pages of my upcoming tome's chapter on Disney's Hollywood Studios is a small segment I call a  . .


TURKEY LEG TANGENT!!!
Lately I’ve noticed every carnival and fair now sells turkey legs.  The first place I ever saw them (and ate one) was years ago at Walt Disney World.  I tried one at our local County Fair once.  I spit out the first bite and pitched the rest to the raccoons.  It was heinous.  I tied the vendor to the Tilt-a-Whirl and punched a prize-winning sheep on my way out. 
However, the barbecued turkey legs at Walt Disney world are delicious!  I don’t know that anyone would ever plan a trip just for one of these babies, but trust me, they’re almost reason enough!  They’ve become something of a staple snack at every Disney Park, but the first park I ever tasted one was Hollywood Studios.  I will always associate the two.  Theme park food is often hit or miss, but these ginormous drumsticks are a definite hit.  Perfectly smoked with a nice pinkish color, they taste almost more like pork than poultry.  Drop one (or let’s be honest, two) of these babies on my Thanksgiving plate and I’m a happy Neanderthal.  One caution though, there was a time when a turkey leg constituted a “snack” and one could use a Dining Plan snack credit.  Apparently someone in management wised up as that option has been removed.  At nearly $10 bucks a leg, they might be the most expensive snack on property.  Fortunately it’s a snack that eats like a meal.  And let’s face it, if you were to drive down Hollywood Boulevard on a Harley, smoking a Cohiba, with a gun rack on the front fender and two Hooters waitresses on the back of the bike, you still wouldn’t look as manly as ripping bird from bone, as nature intended!  You’ll feel like Henry the VIII!  Plus, no table required.  You don’t even need a plate.  The bone is nature’s handle.  You can keep on walking while you eat, making sure you’re not missing out on any fun!  If only more food came with a built-in utensil!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment