Tuesday, August 28, 2012

5 Questions with Jeff Kurtti

Ever since I was a kid, I've always thought the guy with the best job was the guy who got to write the novelization of movies, cartoons, etc.  In 1989 I bought the novelization of Tim Burton's yet-to-be released Batman.  I read it cover to cover, multiple times before the movie even opened.
And I began to really consider what a great gig that was for the author.  First off, I'm lazy.  So the idea of just writing down what somebody else already did was perfect, right?  Plus, the writer got advanced access to the movie, the script, probably marketing materials.  How cool was that???
Truth be told, I realized quickly it was not the job for a lazy writer.  The pressure of being an author representing a huge franchise could be the most daunting challenge of all.  Still I couldn't and cannot now think of any better way to make a living than writing about stories, characters, people, and places that I already love so dearly. 
And that's why Jeff Kurtti is very much a hero of mine!

 Jef Kurtti writes about Disney.   

Disneyland Through The Decades


A Bug's Life:  The Art and Making of an Epic of Miniature Proportions 
 
Walt Disney's Imagineering Legends and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park
 
Dinosaur:  The Evolution of an Animated Feature

Just to name a few!  Tangled, Mulan, Princess & the Frog, . . . I could keep going and going!  
He's written books about Disney movies, Disney art, Disney Imagineers, and Disney parks.
His insights into the stories of Disney are deeply thought out and observed with a unique, uncanny perspective.  Jeff has worked with the Walt Disney Family Museum.  He was a producer of the great documentary The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story ( a must see for Disney fans!)
But my first experience with the writing of Jeff Kurtti was through what could be considered the sacred text of Walt Disney World fanatics, his book When The World Began : Walt Disney World The First 25 Years!
 
15 years later it is still the premiere literary work about our favorite resort.  I pray Disney already has plans to tap Jeff for a 50 year edition.
Jeff has persevered with and worked for the Disney company for . . . well, we'll simply say "a few" years now!  His singular voice, intellect, and wit make him not only an accomplished writer but an amusing voice of insight, reason, and sanity!    
So it is with great honor and adoration and hell of a lot of respect, I present . . .

5 Questions . . . with Jeff Kurtti
Q:  Disney movies (even working in a movie theater, as I recall) have played a large role in your career.  Can you name your top 3 Disney movies and what was their impact on you?

JK:  The first movie I saw in a theater and the moment when my "Disney Switch" got flipped was Mary Poppins at the Mount Baker Theater in Bellingham, WA in 1965. From that point on, I wanted to know all about Walt Disney and everything connected with him.
As a teenager, a friend took we with him to an advance screening of The Rescuers at the University of Washington.  There were several of the filmmakers there, it was one of the "college tours" they used to do.  It was a very exciting event, and I have a special place in my heart for that film to this day.
About a year later I worked in a movie theater in North Seattle called the Crest 70, and we had gained some national renown for showcasing widescreen movies and state of the art stereo.  We were selected by Buena Vista to do a test reissue of Sleeping Beauty in Technirama 70MM, and Disney sent up Eric Larson, Howard Green, and Dick Cook for a three-day appearance/press junket.  I was 17, and was their "plaid skirt" during those three days, and became friends with all of them.  That was a big turning point for me, as you might expect.

Q:  I've found recently that writing about one particular subject, no matter how much you love it can alter your perspective of it.  As can other people connected to it.  I'm reminded of something I heard you say in an interview, and I'm paraphrasing: "You can love this company all you want, but it's never going to love you back."  
Has writing about Disney & working on so many Disney projects changed your perspective at all? 

JK:  Apropos of that quote, I learned a long time ago to separate the Company from Disney.  They aren't actually the same thing, they run parallel, and cross-resource, but the culture of Disney is strong and unchangeable; the Company, by its nature and need, is more fluid.
Working on Disney projects has certainly altered my ability to be as "immersed" as I was as a kid, but I began studying the "behind the scenes" stuff when I was young, so I don't notice it as a change of perspective.
Having kids helps you get a perspective on Disney, and lots of other things, that's very refreshing.

Q:  Since this blog is Disney Parks heavy, do you guys get to take the family to any of the parks much? Calling Seattle home, I imagine Disneyland is a little easier trip? Have you been to Carsland yet? 

JK:  We have been to all the domestic Parks, and go on a Cruise about once a year or so.  We have not been to Carsland yet, but I think all of my boys will go insane with delight.  We will be good Disney nerd parents and watch both of the features the day before we take them.
When we lived in Glendale, we all had Annual Passes, and the kids were very used to just "going" to Disneyland.  And if you look on page 110 of my book  Disneyland Through the Decades, that's my oldest son, Brendan.

Q:  Aside from your writing, for which I'm a huge geek, one thing I greatly admire is that you are incredibly outspoken and candid about your feelings, beliefs, political views, etc.  As a writer working on a Disney related project, I sometimes find myself biting my tongue (err, fingers) in arenas like Facebook where there's such a large Disney fan community for fear of offending potential reader (let's be honest, book buyer!) 
 I admit, I'm finding it harder to do, regardless of the outcome.  Have you ever felt any backlash, specifically from the Disney company for being so honest?

JK:  No. I am actually allowed to have my own Facebook Page and my own opinions, like everyone else.  I am who I am, and if people don't like a political view or an idea that is different from theirs, they should Unfriend me immediately and go to my Fan Page instead, which is safer for people who are scared of "politics."
I had a Disney Fan get very angry with me because I think Ayn Rand is a huge fraud.  He became indignant and sent me a message saying "You aren't who I thought you were."  Well, first of all, he friend Requested me.  Second, did he think I live with bunnies and flowers in a magical pixie glade or something?  I can't really bear responsibility for things people presuppose.  Finally, what does my thinking about the fraudulent philosophy of a terrible writer have to do with anything?  It's just an opinion.  As Jefferson said, "What matters it to me if it neither picks my pocket or breaks my leg?"
In arenas of Disney I actually feel more comfortable and less "questing" in my discussions, since I have done so much "homework" for so many years.  Sharing Disney information also comes from a far less threatening place for people most of the time.
On a big picture scale, I certainly can play the nice game of compromise and deference when necessary, but in areas that have no relationship to my work, who cares what I think?  Heck, even people who agree with me don't care what I think.

Q:  The Disney Insider. The Walt Disney Family Museum. Since The World Began (the MUST-READ for anyone claiming to love Walt Disney World. The Boys. 
Your name has been attached to some incredible Disney projects. What's next?

JK:  I'm at a crossroads right now, to be honest.  Moving to a remote place and focusing on raising my kids has changed my perspective somewhat.  There are some personal projects I am developing that mean a lot to me, so I'm interested to see where they go.  Certainly I plan to continue "Wonderful World of Walt," if Disney Insider wants to renew it, and other things pop up here and there, now and again.  I'd love to do more books, but it feels like that part of my career has ended.  I am poking around a few ideas with some colleagues, but I'm not sure where they'll wind up.

As a fan, I cannot wait to see where that road leads!  But I certainly hope we haven't seen the last books from Mr. Kurtti!  Be sure to check out Jeff's feature "Wonderful World of Walt" in the Disney Insider!  Seriously, do it now!  This weeks article "The Unexpected Walt Disney" is fantastic!  disney.go.com/disneyinsider

No comments:

Post a Comment