Thursday, November 22, 2012

Talkin' Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends! 

In honor of this day where we give thanks and appreciate the blessings in our lives, I just wanted to take a moment to say Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and thank you for being friends, readers, and supporters! 

Thanksgiving always makes me miss my grandmother.  We always spent Thanksgiving with her and she was an amazing cook.  She turned their little apartment in a retirement village into a 4 Star gourmet restaurant.  Okay, hillbilly gourmet . . . but damn it was good! 

This holiday's never been the same since my grandparents passed on.  But this year we're keeping it small, just my wife and kids and I.  And I'm liking it!  But if I weren't at home, there's one place I wish, other than my grandmother's table that I could be spending Thanksgiving! 



If every day on Mainstreet USA is the Fourth of July, then it’s always Thanksgiving in Liberty Square!  That is, if you’ve got your dinner ADR for Liberty Tree Tavern.  
 
That's a hypothetical “if” because if you don't eat there at least once, well, you're dumb!  Fashioned after the Colonial inns our founding fathers dined in, Liberty Tree Tavern is the perfect location for family dinner.  The food is old school traditional American eats.  Servers drop off family-style platters of roast turkey, pork, beef brisket, vegetables, fresh baked rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, and Mac & cheese.  It's all you can eat and it's all delicious!  In some cases even better than mom used to make.  Just don’t undo your belt after dinner.  That would be weird.
 

Don't try to walk-up and expect a table either.  The staff will of course try to accommodate, but plan on being hungry for another hour or more because that’s how soon you’re likely to be seated.  
 

Of course, if I were at Walt Disney World today, I might not want to sit down to a big meal . . . even on Thanksgiving, the Super Bowl of eating holidays!  
 Thank goodness the parks always offer another alternative to satisfy your craving for what was almost our National Bird!  
 


Lately I’ve noticed every carnival and fair sells turkey legs.  But the first place I ever enjoyed one was at Walt Disney World.  I tried one at our local County Fair once.  I spit out the first bite and pitched the rest to the raccoons.  It was heinous.  A criminal offense to my taste buds.  I was so pissed I tied the vendor to the Tilt-a-Whirl and punched a prize-winning sheep on my way out. 
However, the barbecued turkey legs at Walt Disney world are amazing!  I don’t know that anyone would ever plan a trip just for these babies, but they’re almost reason enough!  They’ve become something of a staple snack at every Disney Park, but the first park I ever tasted one was Hollywood Studios.  Theme park food is often hit or miss, but these ginormous drumsticks are a definite hit!  Perfectly smoked with a nice pinkish color, they taste almost more like pork than poultry.  Drop one (or let’s be honest, two) of these babies on my Thanksgiving plate and I’m a happy Neanderthal.  
 
There was a time when a turkey leg constituted a “snack” and one could use a snack credit from their Disney dining plan.  Apparently someone in management wised up because that option has been removed.  At nearly $10 bucks a leg, they might be the most expensive snack on property.  Fortunately it’s a snack that eats like a meal.  And let’s be real, if you drove down the center of the park on a Harley, wearing a Viking helmet, smoking a cigar, with two Hooters waitresses on the back of the bike, you wouldn’t look as manly as when your canines are ripping bird from bone, as nature intended!   
You’ll feel like Henry the VIII!  Plus, no table required.  You don’t even need a plate.  The bone is nature’s handle.  You can keep on walking while you eat; guaranteeing you won't miss out on any fun!  If only more food came with a built-in utensil!
Plus, how many foods inspire their own souvenir apparel?!?
 

And let's not forget the wonderful, condensed version of Thanksgiving between two slices of bread at the Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney . . .
  
Still, I wouldn't hop on Star Tours or Tower of Terror for at least 3 hours after consuming an entire Thanksgiving feast in a single sandwich!  

Happy Thanksgiving everybody . . . just a little over a month til the Disney Parks Christmas Parade!  That ought to give you sweet dreams as you snore in front of the football game this afternoon!!!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment