Saturday, March 3, 2012

We Pause for a Self-Aggrandizing Word From Our Sponsor

When I started this blog, one thing I silently vowed to myself was that I would stray from the topic, which is of course Disney. Obviously the primary focus is Walt Disney World, followed by other Disney parks, and the Disney flicks, and on down the pyramid.

However aside from a part-time blogger, I am also an author. A few years ago I wrote this weird little story for kids called Balaam. It's too long to be a short story, too short to be a novel. I suppose the term would be novella, but that sounds way too ostentatious for anything I would produce!

Last Spring, I published my weird little adventure story through a publishing imprint called CreateSpace. I tried very briefly to pitch it to a couple traditional publishers but knew it would probably never get a green light that way. The first problem was, it's not really a "childrens book" but I did write it for younger readers. Adolescent fiction is probably the most fitting category. But I stand by my belief (and the feedback I've received) that's it's fun for all ages.

The other problem Balaam has always faced: being misunderstood. The best line I heard from a publisher was something to the effect "it's too Christian to commercial, but too controversial to be Christian." I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I don't just consider it a "Christian" book. Balaam is inspired by a character from the Bible, but he's O.T. (not to be confused with O.G.) In other words, he does not belong exclusively to any one faith. I just really liked the character and wanted to expand on his story. However I have learned that the subject does indeed frighten off a number of readers. Those of faith fear the magic and fantasy elements. And then there's the other side that immediately shuts down when they hear anything relating to religion, even in the slightest way.

What does this have to do with Disney? Well, you could easily dismiss it and say "nothing." But actually there are two reasons my story fits right in among the world of Disneyana.

The first is because my idea of expanding on an old existing character came right from Walt Disney himself. Walt did it with folk stories and fairy tales. I just chose another old source.

The other reason I can comfortably pimp my book on a Disney blog is simple. Well, I mean aside from saying "it's my blog and I'll plug whatever I want. Neener, neener, neener!"

I wrote the whole story like an animated Disney feature . . . just, you know, minus the animation. You get to make that up in your mind. Heck, half the time I was writing I had Aladdin playing in the background.

So I'm really posting this to all my readers and fellow Disney fans to say hey, if you've got a couple bucks, give Balaam a shot.

Believe me when I tell you this has nothing to do with making money. Writers don't write to get rich. If they do, they're out of their minds. They do it because they love it. I don't even call myself a writer. I'm a story-teller. I work in many mediums.
This one just happens to be available in paperback and for download. And I purposely kept the price low to make it accessible to everyone.

I'll stop plugging now. If you're inclined to read something fun and exciting, click the link below. It will magically transport you to Amazon where you can choose the Kindle version or paperback, for those like me who still love paper and binding.
Oh, and I have a standing promise to sign any and all paperback copies the very next time I see you!


http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=balaam+by+bart+scott&x=0&y=0

No comments:

Post a Comment