Friday, March 30, 2012

What's Your Trigger?

The night before my last trip down to the World, I made a late Target run to pick up some essentials. I wasn't procrastinating. It's become a ritual and I love it. Plus, if you know where to find it, most Targets have an aisle full of travel-sized everythings!

This was especially important as I wasn't going to be checking a bag (curse you airlines with your bag fees!) As you know with the limits on liquids and gels, travel-sized is a key phrase to get to know.
I had my travel-sized toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, hairspray, even a tiny package of Q-tips. However there was one last thing I needed. I put a lot of stock in smelling good. It's one of the few things I can control. Plus, as someone with a sensitive olfactory sense myself, I feel it a civic duty and just common courtesy to always smell good, even if you've spent the day marching around a theme park in 80+ degree weather. So, I was hoping to find some form of quality, yet miniature cologne. Turns out, nothing doing. Couldn't find anything that would pass TSA.

Then I noticed it. A rack of these small black aluminum canisters. It was travel-sized Axe Body Spray. Could that do the trick, I wondered? I'd never used Axe before, however I'd seen the commercials. Was it safe to wear this on a trip to Florida, alone?!? Was I responsible for the reaction from the fairer sex?
I examined the can further. The full title was Axe Body Spray After Dark Temptation. My first thought was, sheesh, fire your marketing team . . . that's a mouthful! But then I wondered could I even pull it off? That sounded like a fragrance more befitting a Billy Dee Williams! Time was ticking and I had to make a decision. So I figured what the heck? I dropped it in my cart (okay, I admit it, I was carrying a basket . . . I'm not proud.)



It actually smells pretty good and came it very handy throughout my trip. And of course it didn't even raise an eyebrow at airport security. Then again, my Mickey sweatshirt, orange Animal Kingdom visor, and Crocs might have also flagged me as "Not a Risk." "A Friggin' Weirdo" maybe, but not a threat.

But here's the weirder part of the story. When I got home from that trip, there was a little liquid left in the canister, and every now and then as I was suffering through the WDWW (Walt Disney World Withdrawals for uninitiated) I would spray it on myself and the smell helped take me back for a few moments.
So much so in fact, that I finally broke down and bought a full-sized canister of the stuff. Every time I smell my mind goes to one place. Well, Four Parks, One Place. It's not a daily application, but certainly a few times a week I find my hand reaching for that black and brown can. Like I'm spraying on just a little touch of magic to get through the day.

So I'm wondering of my fellow Disney fans, what's your trigger? And I don't mean a souvenir from the parks or something Disney specific. I'm curious is anyone else out there has something that would seem totally random that immediately takes you on an emotional Disney vacation, at least for a few seconds.

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear!

1 comment:

  1. The smell of slightly skunky water always takes me back to WDW. Or the combination smell of sunscreen and popcorn . . . A sugary/chocolate smell puts me right on Main Street.

    ReplyDelete