Saturday, September 8, 2012

Perchance to Dream(find!)

In 1984 I was 9 years old (yikes) when I made my first journey to this mythic place called Walt Disney World.  Two years prior my grandparents had gone down for some grand opening and had brought me back my first Mickey Mouse doll and my brother a colorful commemorative book about some place called EPCOT Center.

While Mickey was and remains my idol, the pictures of that strange & wonderful other park captured my imagination!  Specifically one pavilion . . . Universe of Energy (see what I did there???)  With it's then cutting-edge animatronic dinosaurs, I was chomping at the bit to see it for myself!!!  Little did I know it was to be a different kind of reptile that would change my whole world!

Energy turned out to be at once amazing and terribly boring to this hyperactive 9 year-old!  The dinosaurs did not disappoint, but the film that followed seemed insufferable as a kid and there was no escape until the end.
But there was this other place, this pavilion that looked like pyramids made of prisms . . . the Imagination pavilion . . . that seemed like an intriguing destination.  For this little Midwestern daydreamer, it was in spades.  I had no idea what to expect from Journey Into Imagination, but the moment we rounded that corner and met that jolly bearded fellow in his intricate flying contraption (no not that one . . . this guy's beard was red) I was all in!  That "guy" was The Dreamfinder, the host of the attraction and creator of the park's first iconic character Figment, the childlike purple dragon.
  Later we would meet them live and in the flesh, and, uh, scales, strolling around the pavilion.  Well, meet is a strong word.  I saw them a few feet away, that is, before ducking behind my dad's legs.  Even at 9 I was a little uncertain about the whole "strolling character" thing.
It's very likely that Dreamfinder I saw walking about, interacting with guests was the man who originally brought life to the characters, Ron Schneider.  Ron was the first live Dreamfinder (not counting a couple stand-in's, including Imagineer-extraordinaire Joe Rohde.)  Put it this way, Ron was the first who could put Dreamfinder on a tax-return!
What I didn't know is how much more Ron had done for the theme park and live entertainment industry.  Now he's written a book chronicling a long, creative career in amusement!

"What do you mean you don't own this yet?!?!"  

From Dreamer to Dreamfinder: A Life and Lessons Learned in 40 Years Behind a Name Tag is a riveting, entertaining tale of Ron's path from drama school to Disneyland to Magic Mountain . . . back to Disneyland and across the country to this little upstart enterprise called Walt Disney World and EPCOT Center. 

After hearing an interview Ron did on the WDW News Today podcast this summer, I knew the book would be interesting as a Disney fan.  But I was blown away by Ron's storytelling and the fascinating career journey he's been on since the 70's.  Ron has an insight into live entertainment, improv, and theme parks like I've never heard anyone else discuss (other than the voices my own head.)  As a Disney theme park devotee, and also as a former performer who sold out, went corporate, and lives with the frustration every day, Ron is now my hero.  He had the talent and the courage to pursue an unconventional career, and it has worked out.
You will be amazed, you'll laugh, you will even get at least a tad misty here and there (the passage about Major particularly hit me.)  And of course, you'll get a peak behind the curtain to see not only this particular wizard, but get to meet many of the wizards that have made the magic work over the years.  

What I find most amazing (and borderline criminal) is that Disney or some other theme park hasn't placed him in some high position permanently, dreaming and directing creative endeavors.  I hope after this book, they will have the sense to do so.  As Ron's book points out over and over, the disconnects that often happen between the business side and the creative side are frustrating yet seemingly unavoidable.  It is inevitable, as those who are good with business and money tend to lack any artistic vision.  They see imagination as a waste of resources and therefore unprofitable, even in places where flights of fancy are what built the Kingdom . . . err, empire!
In college, I remember meeting privately with the Head of the Business Department (I wasn't doing so hot in the business class we were required to take) who looked on me with a bemused yet confused grin as I told him I wanted to perform and tell stories for a living one day, not understanding a word I said!  He had once been a high-ranking executive with Sears.  There were no margins or spreadsheets in my dreams and therefore I guess no cash value.  Ironically that business professional looked at me much the way Dreamfinder would look playfully on children in the park!

Since his days capturing imaginations and creating dreams with the purple dragon at his side, Ron helped open Universal Studios Florida, spent time working for another mouse, Chuck E. Cheese (don't judge - I'd write for even that mouse over sitting in a cubicle any day!) and was an integral creative figure in the creation of Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor!
  I'd take it as a sign of truly respected talent (whether they'll say it out loud or not) that his participation and contributions have been so invaluable that the Mouse House has to keep bringing him back!
And after reading Ron's book, I can only believe the best is still yet to come.    

If you call yourself any kind of Walt Disney World or theme park fan, you must purchase From Dreamer to Dreamfinder immediately.  Get thee to Amazon at once!  Or better yet, check out Ron's website http://dreemfinder.wordpress.com/

Thank you for your years of service to all of our imaginations, Ron Schneider!  They may have made some (inexplicable) alterations to the attraction, but thanks to you Dreamfinder remains eternal!

Don't believe me, ask anyone in attendance at Destination D last year!
 

1 comment: