Friday, September 14, 2012

You Can Leave Your Hat On!

Heard an interesting rumor today.

No, not that there'll be alcohol in the Magic Kingdom.  That's a fait accompli!

No, not that there gonna build a Cars Land clone in Disney's Hollywood Studios.  That's still just a rumor, for now.  But you are definitely getting warmer.  The rumor that caught my ear today involves DHS.  Particularly, the park's icon.  The somewhat unintentional icon of the park, after the water tower.  What's that?  Oh yeah, there's a water tower at Hollywood Studios.  That's the park's first icon.  No, really, I promise.  There's one there.  Somewhere.

I'm talking of course about the giant Sorcerer Mickey hat in the park's hub.
 

Built in 2001, the big hat is perhaps the most polarizing icon in all of Walt Disney World, next to the days when Spaceship Earth was accompanied by a magic wand.  According to some now, the hat is about to join the wand and glove in the icon scrapyard.

This source claimed that the hat and the Chinese Theater replica are bound for rubble, to be replaced with another clone.  This time, the Carthay Circle Theater will be erected in their place, along with the Red Car trolley.  Just like they opened at Disney's California Adventure's Buena Vista Street this summer. 


Star Wars geeks rise!  The clone wars have begun!!! 

Personally, maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the Sorcerer's Hat.  I don't want to see it go anywhere.  I understand the major complaint; it doesn't fit the theme of area.  It's supposed to be old Hollywood and there's this giant wizard's cap.  And it blocks the Chinese Theater.
Well, I'm told that Disney no longer has the rights to call it Grauman's or use that name in any promotional material hence the reason it's got a date with a wrecking ball (if that's true.)  So by that rationale who cares if you can see it anyway.

Of course if they take down the theater, what does that mean for The Great Movie Ride?  Will they just change the facade (p.s. what becomes of all those celebrity hand prints?)  Oh the questions this rumor brings up!

More importantly, I'd be very surprised to see the hat come down for another reason.  I personally spoke to an Imagineer within the last year specifically about the Sorcerer Hat.  And this person was on Team Hate It.  Even they said to me despite how they felt, that hat has such deep foundations that removing it would be a major construction / demolition project.  I can't imagine park management wants that happening right in the center of the park.  Imagine the chaos.  Not saying it hasn't happened before.  I'd just be really surprised.  Especially when so much merchandise, marketing material, etc already exists in which that hat is the representation of the park.  I think of the whole Four Parks, One World campaign.  The hat features prominently.
 

I have a hard time believe it's going anywhere, but who knows?  I wonder what every one thinks.  Are you pro-hat or anti?  Do you want to see it gone in favor of a Carthay Clone?    

No comments:

Post a Comment