Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Lady I Can't Explain

Back in the 50's and 60's on his weekly television program Walt Disney's Disneyland and Disney's Wonderful World of Color, it was a normal occurrence for Uncle Walt to introduce the audience to any of a number of young, energetic ladies who were chosen as Disneyland Ambassadors. They were often the narrators of the special segments that would take the home viewer on a tour behind the scenes of the latest attractions opening at the Disneyland park. 
http://ocresort.ocregister.com/files/2008/10/julie-walt-21.jpg
Half a century later, some things never change. Only now, we have Walt Disney World. And with our own park, we have our own Disney Ambassador who takes us on a virtual tour of the parks and has for many become an important part of the Disney vacation experience. If you haven't stayed in a Walt Disney World resort hotel, or it's been some time, you may not know who I'm talking about. But for Walt Disney World nuts like myself, just say the name Stacey and you don't really need to say much more. We all know who you mean. 
Hell, I work 2 desks away from a Staci every day, but any time I hear the name my coworker is not the first face that pops into mind. 
 
Stacy J. Aswad has been the host of multiple informational specials that play exclusively in all Walt Disney World hotel rooms for a decade now. To say informational channel is like calling skydiving an object-lesson about gravity. Stacy takes us on a whirlwind tour throughout all four theme parks, both water parks, and Downtown Disney, and a number of other attractions and features at the Walt Disney World resort, and all in less than 30 minutes!
On any other trip, I would understand how turning on the television set in your room immediately after setting down your suitcase might come across as odd. When I check in to a Disney hotel, it's a must. Or maybe I should say a "must do!" 
Taking a few minutes to see what Stacey's up to, even if you've seen it before, is almost required watching when you get to your Disney hotel. On my last visit, I checked-in, grabbed a cold beer from the bar, and headed straight to my room where I kicked off my shoes and flipped on the t.v. to catch up. The minute I heard Stacey's voice and saw that familiar "girl next door" smile, I knew I was officially back at Walt Disney World.
And I know Stacey is very much that same symbol for many, many other Walt Disney World fans. She comes up casually in conversation as though they were just talking about a mutual friend. With the exception of a few creeps, most view her almost like family. She is part of our Disney trips. Especially as the first time you see her is normally at the beginning of your stay. She's unwittingly become the Walt Disney World virtual Welcome Wagon.
Beyond that Stacey has managed to transcend the material she was hired to present and become something of a Disney icon in her own right. I think that's a pretty prestigious position.  I'm surprised she doesn't have a Vinylmation yet!  
 
 I mean come on, even the Orange Bird has one!
How many others can say their job ensures millions of people have the best vacation experience possibe, creating lifelong memories for countless families?  And that they get to impact every resort guest that comes to Walt Disney World!  Not too mention, you watch these videos and you can see that Stacey clearly has the most fun job in the world. At least when she's working for Disney.  Nice work if you can get it. 
I mean, come on.  The position requires she ride every ride, see every show and attraction, eat amazing food, browse through the coolest shopping areas in the world, hang out with some real characters, and get a tan while doing it all.  It's a rough life, I'm sure.



(The quality isn't as good in this one, but you get the idea.)
I wonder if she realizes her influence stretches far beyond the Disney property in Florida. I've spoken to many fellow WDW fans who have all told me they will regularly pull up a the original Top 7 special on YouTube. On my last visit I finally got to see the latest incarnation, "Must Do Disney!" I like many reading this tend to just switch on the "Stacey channel" as we like to refer to it and let it play. The shows run continuously all day and night so if you're in your room for an hour you will conceivably be able to watch it almost 3 times in a row. And that is not unusual for many of us to do.
The amazing thing is, weeks after I'd been home, I started hearing a tune in my head that it took me a little while to place. It was the new theme song that begins and ends Must Do Disney. I don't know the title, if it even has one, or who sings it. But enough of the words had clawed their way into my subconscious (probably the night I fell asleep and left the t.v. on) that I was able to Google it. Which in turn led me to a nice quality recording someone had posted online. I know this might sound crazy (although if you're a regular reader of this blog and what I'm about to say still sounds crazy, you might have taken a wrong turn somewhere on the internet) but watching that video on my computer took me right back again. The really scary part is I now have the link bookmarked on my smart phone and the video, in its entirety downloaded to my ipod. If I get a little blue or start feeling those Walt Disney World withdrawals we all know, I am usually but a digital button push away from a little dose of Must Do and my friend Stacey.
Now and then I'll be chatting with someone who goes to WDW somewhat regularly or at least has been recently and inevitably the question comes up as to where they stayed. If they stayed on property I can't help but ask if they watched Stacey. If they say no, I throw whatever beverage is nearest in their face. 
http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4e1757d0ccd1d5415c030000/richard-drink-in-face.jpg
 Okay, not really. But I am a little baffled. It is just so much fun to watch.  I liken it to the preshow to an attraction! Somehow taking a few minutes, seeing someone doing everything you're about to do just amps up your own energy even higher. And a huge part of that energy is Stacey herself. She really was perfect casting for the job and I for one hope they don't change hosts for a long time.
She's not only our favorite hostess, she's a therapist, old friend, distant cousin, and rock star celebrity!



http://www.staceyjaswad.com/

Also, Stacey has just announced her own weekly web show starting in January. Check it out!

http://www.vobuzzweekly.com/

2 comments:

  1. I love Stacey! Except for checking the weather channel, we never switch her off. I just watched Must Do Disney today and there was instantly a smile on my face. While she's not as crazy as she used to be, I love Must Do Disney. I'd absolutely kill to have her job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't miss Stacey's facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/StaceyJAswadHost

    ReplyDelete