Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pixar Parade Highlander: Can There Be Only One???

I was lucky enough to visit Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure a few years ago. We were only there for one day and had our son who was 23 months at the time. I debated whether to pop for Park Hoppers or just stick to Disneyland. When we reached the ticket booth I made the impulse decision to go for it. I figured this might be our only shot. We live in Chicago so a trip to Anaheim even for just a few days can actually cost more than a week at WDW.
Of course Disneyland, while smaller and somewhat claustrophobic when viewed through the eye of a Walt Disney World veteran was indeed awesome. I know Californians probably get sick of hearing "it's where Walt walked" etc. But, it is.
There is a palpable sense of history there. The Cast Members left a little bit to be desired of course, which is a common complaint from WDW fans who've made the pilgrimage, but that's a subject for perhaps another day.
Sometime in the mid-afternoon, we made the trek across the plaza to Disney's California Adventure. A park that has also gotten a bad rep from some fans. I actually really liked it. Some parts felt very familiar as it is quite similar to Disney's Hollywood Studios (not too mention there are some familiar attractions such as Tower of Terror along the horizon.) But it also has it's own, very unique feel. It's almost surreal to see a long board walk roller coaster in a Disney park.
What I really loved were the different lands throughout the park themed to verious well-known California regions. My personal favorite was the San Francisco wharf area. I confess it was my favorite due in no small part to the beer truck pouring local craft brews. While the Mrs. and the boy ventured off in search of a snack at the bakery, I grabbed a pint and found a table where I sat watching the warm California sun set in the November sky. A sky that was no doubt far less hospitable back home. It was indeed one of those "life is good" moments that I have learned to stop and appreciate when I'm in the parks.
That's when I first heard the announcement that the Pixar Play Parade would be starting shortly. I'm not normally a big fan of parades. However knowing my wife is, I thought maybe I'd stake out a spot. Especially when I learned it would be passing not far from where I sat. So I rounded up the troops and we took a place on the main thoroughfare. It wasn't long before we heard the voice of Mike Wazowski and Roz from Monsters, Inc. Maybe this parade wouldn't be so bad after all. Til I looked down and saw a look of terror in my little guy's eyes. It was loud, there were weird lights swirling around, and tons of strangers standing all around him. It looked like we were seconds away from a Class 4 meltdown. We might have to abort mission quick!
And then we saw him. A local hero in our house whose life size appearance suddenly made my almost-two year old sit forward in his stroller with eyes the size of planetoids! Lightning McQueen was slowly swerving up the road towards us. That was it. The boy was smiling and waiving and clapping his hands. It was on!
I thought all the floats were cool and innovative, using scenes from Pixar movies and integrating dancers and gymnastics all to an infections song interspersed between a medley of familiar pop hits. And then I had my moment. The float for A Bug's Life rolled by and I saw Flick looking down right towards us and my son was bouncing up and down waiving back. And he really didn't even know who Flick was. He was just loving the experience. I found myself getting a bit emotional. It was like "he gets it too." I just cast my eyes skyward and said a quiet thank you. It was appreciation that my son would be nut like me. But a simple and heartfelt thank you that we got to be there, in that place at that moment, and I could experience that joy in his eyes for the first time. That's what it's all about, right?
I suppose that moment might be all I need to explain that question; why would a grown man be such a Disney fan?
This would forever be my favorite parade.





A year and change later, we were back at the Walt Disney World resort. I was excited for the boy, who was older (and of course possessed a much higher level of Disney-awareness) to see this Pixar Block Party Bash parade at Disney's Hollywood Studios. So I must be honest and confess I was disappointed when it turned out to be nothing like the DCA Play Parade. I never quite got the giant blocks that transformed into mobile trampolines. And yes, let me say right up front I realize I'm stepping on toes. I understand this parade was actually a favorite of many. Sorry. Just didn't do much for me. Although I did find the Green Army Men interacting with the crowd to be a riot!
I will also say I was measuring this experience against not only another parade but also against an emotional response I'd had that was completely personal and unique. Viewed through that prism, no parade probably stood a chance.



I was excited to learn that the Pixar Play Parade was being brought to Disney's Hollywood Studios this year. Well, sort of, as it turned out. Disney announced there would be changes. The floats wouldn't all be the same. And of course there'd been new Pixar films since I'd seen it so some characters would be swapped out for others. Perhaps the most jarring change announced was the name. It was now to be called "Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun Parade."
Huh-what???
Still, changes aside, I couldn't wait to get back down to see it. And that's why I was shocked when I started to hear the reviews from some of the better known bloggers and podcasters (is that a word) out there.
Many of them hated it. They said they didn't like the floats. Hated the songs (that one really stung since I sometimes let the medley play at my desk!) There was a common complaint that it was just boring and unoriginal! For shame! Especially when I heard a couple of them call the Block Party Bash a superior experience. What?!?! "You're out of your mind," I shouted at my iPod!
Okay, not really. But in my head maybe.
Finally I made a trip down in November of this year and was able to see a little of the new Play Para . . . sorry, I mean Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun parade. Phew, almost ran out of breath just typing that title! The music was basically the same as before, with a few minor changes. However the first few floats felt completely unfamiliar and even weird. Seeing Mr. Incredible up on a riser like a maniacal third-world dictator instead of buzzing around on a scooter like at DCA was a little . . . odd. Didn't even really feel genuine. Disney's all about story, and in my mind at least that didn't jive with that particular character's story. The whole thing just felt off. It was almost as if the original Play Parade and Block Party Bash hooked up at a bar in Downtown Disney and this was their parade lovechild.
I didn't feel the love like I had in California. Probably didn't help that I was alone since I was down there working on a project. Still, I didn't hate it with the fire of a thousand burning suns either. It is still a great deal of fun. And those Pixar characters are some of my favorites. Better a mediocre Pixar parade than having the Power Rangers bouncing around again. And judging from the reaction of the crowd, I'm not the only one who thought it was good. Plus, I don't care who you are, love it or hate it, you'll be humming that song all day long afterwards.



I must admit. I'm still partial to the original. And probably always will be. Video clips don't do any of the parades justice. For those that have seen them in person, especially if you've had the good fortune to have seen all three, what do you think? What's your favorite?
Does the loss of Block Party Bash make you lash out with spit and vitriol? (Sidebar: if you hate the new parade, do you also hate the Sorcerer's hat? Just raise your hand, I'm conducting a scientific experiment.)
Do you actually love Countdown to Fun? It will be interesting to see the consensus. I wonder what comments Disney is getting since the change earlier this year. More to the point, I wonder how long this incarnation will last? Especially if I'm in the minority. Then again, Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade is going strong and that's possibly the most boring parade I've ever witnessed. Thank God I was sipping a Safari Amber while I watched!

No comments:

Post a Comment